14 August 2020 |
SEM and SEO
Earlier this year Google announced the first significant step, Organic Google Shopping, to challenge its shopping rival, Amazon. It now allows retailers access to Google Shopping placements organically with unpaid product listings. Google Shopping is a highly effective paid e-commerce strategy, so removing the exclusivity of paid listings from the shopping tab is a big opportunity for brands.
Given this, it puts particular emphasis on optimising your product data feed, as the Google Merchant Center will centrally manage both paid and organic listings.
There are 57 attributes in the data feed that contain information about your products (See full Data Feed here). Google will use this information to index your product and ensure your products appear for the relevant search results. Therefore its vital your data feed is optimised.
Here are 3 tips that will improve your data feed:
1. Confirm the key attributes of your product feed including product title and product description are accurate & thorough.
- To increase the visibility of all relevant search queries, keywords can also be inserted into the feed as an additional attribute.
2. Product images must be high quality, and correct. Mobile formatted images are a bonus.
- Submit the largest, highest resolution, full-size image you have for the product. No larger than 64 megapixels and 16MB file size. We recommend images of at least 800 x 800 pixels.
3. Ensure your product category and product type definitions are both accurate and relevant. These attributes are essential for product feed segmentation and aligning your products to all relevant search queries.
By improving your product feed in advance of the latest development to Google organic shopping, you’re giving your brand the best opportunity for success in both paid & organic shopping.
Please reach out to Adam or Marie for any further information on Google Shopping activity.Next Article