Identity & Identifier 101
10 February 2022 |
Data, Insights, Privacy
Since Google’s announcement to remove cookies back in 2019, there are now over 20 individual providers in Australia with identity solutions. For many, the reasoning, and effects of removing cookies is complicated enough; let alone understanding what comes next. In December 2021, IAB released a document called “Identifiers Explainer Guide” providing a simplified explanation to the various identifiers in the Australian market.
What are identifiers?
Essentially, identifiers are the way consumers are tracked across all their browsers and devices. A consumer could easily have hundreds and thousands, however the IAB views identifiers in 3 types – consumer, creative asset, and business entities.
- Consumer ID: identifies individual users or group of people within a household (generally anonymously) that is tied to device or browser. Examples are cookies, device IDs or IFAs (identifier for advertising).
- Asset ID: Ensure the right content is delivered to the right person and enable accurate measurement/tracking when it comes to the who and where the creative is displayed.
- Business ID: Identify what publisher, advertiser, and vendor that is providing content and ads to consumers. Mainly used to manage trust, reduce fraud, and improve transparency.
As there are many ways to identify a consumer across various browsers and devices, managing and leveraging identifiers is the real challenge.
The process of collating all available data from an identifier to build anonymised profiles to target, manage and measure online advertising is called Identity Resolution. Identity Resolution keeps track of any preferences and consent signals from identifier to identifier, which enables more personalised marketing. The process takes into account:
- Ingestion of data from all sources
- Unifying the customer data – types of information and behaviour
- Building an audience or profile based on the collected data
- Activation – how can we use this data we’ve created across marketing channels
Implications & considerations
- Although there are over 20 available solutions in Australia, it is important to educate yourself on all available options rather than finding 1 and sticking with it.
- Test and learn – there’s not a need to find 1 solution now but rather test and learn what solution would work best for you.
- For a seller, think about the implications of collecting data. Asking “why” is this data important? Don’t collect data just because it is available or because you can.
- Consider how the consumer will be impacted. How will the identity solution you use effect the consumer experience?
These solutions will be the future of audience targeting across digital; and now is the perfect time to get a taste of each identity solution. ADMATIC can assist you on your journey to fine the right identity solution to reach your brands target audience. Reach out to your ADMATICian to learn more.Next Article